Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular
It's just not the Fourth without it. More than 80,000 dazzling explosions—Flickering Butterflies, Glittering Gems, Giant Silver Swallows, and Bursting Comets—light up the sky over the East River while millions of New Yorkers catch the show from rooftops, in parks, along the river, at the Promenade, on boats, and on NBC.
• When: 9 p.m.
• Musical accompaniment: Bring a radio wherever you decide to watch for a synchronized musical program on 1010 WINS.
• More info: Call 212-494-4495 or visit macys.com
• Manhattan viewing: East River Park, South Street Seaport, FDR Drive (enter at 23rd, 38th and 42nd Sts.); the FDR between 14th and 42nd Sts. and from the ferry terminal to the Pearl Street exit ramp is closed to traffic from 7-10 p.m.
• Brooklyn: Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Empire Fulton Ferry State Park Queens: Hunter's Point, Queensbridge Park, Rainey Park
• Jersey City: Liberty State Park
• Roosevelt Island: If you want to beat the Manhattan crowds, head to the other Island for the East River fireworks display. It's not free, but a ticket will get you a seat with a view, live music and entertainment for the kids, including clowns, jugglers and face painting. Grab a hot dog or hamburger from the food court, sit back in your folding chair (they're provided for all ticket holders) and watch the show. Leave the coolers, backpacks and alcoholic beverages at home; they're not allowed.
• 5 p.m.; adults, tickets $18 available at Manhattan Tram Station (2nd Ave. and 60th St.), online (rioc.com) or at the site on July 4; Southpoint, southern tip of Roosevelt Island; 212-832-4540 or rioc.com
(Via NY Magazine)